Please read eligibility and entry rules carefully
15 October – 15 December 2018
Note: All entries are through this online form which will be activated on 15 Oct & automatically deactivated on 15 Dec.
About the Prize
- The Kalemba Short Story Prize is an annual award for unpublished short fiction administered and funded by Ukusefya WORDS.
- The prize is open to Zambian nationals only, including those living outside Zambia.
- The judging panel comprise authors, publishers and editors.
- The winner will receive USD1000.
- The winner will be announced in May 2019 at a ceremony in Lusaka.Eligibility
- Entrants must be Zambian citizens (including those resident outside Zambia)Entry rules
- Entries must be made by the writer.
- Entries are accepted via online form
- The deadline for receipt of entries is STRICTLY 15 December 2018.
- Only one entry per writer may be submitted for the 2019 KSSP
- The story must be the entrant’s own work.
- The story must be original and should not have been published anywhere in full or in part before 1 May 2019 including in an anthology, magazine, book, newspaper and online.
- Entries previously submitted elsewhere are not eligible.
- Entries should be submitted in English. Entries in a Zambian language are only eligible with English translation submitted by the writer.
- Entries must be between 2000-5000 words. (Entries exceeding word limit will automatically be disqualified.
- Entries should be submitted in a PDF or Word document, preferably PDF, saved under title of the story.
- The author’s details should be included on the entry form. They must not be given anywhere on the uploaded document. All entries are judged anonymously.
- All entries should be submitted in Arial 11 point font and 1.5 line spacing. No handwritten entries.
- The story should be fiction. There are no restrictions on setting, genre or theme.
- Entrants agree as a condition of entry that Ukusefya WORDS may publicise a story that has been entered or shortlisted for the Prize.
- Copyright of each story remains with the writer. Ukusefya WORDS will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning or any stories including for promotional purposes.
- The winner will be expected to take part in publicity activities.
- For any queries on entry or eligibility not covered above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification before submitting an entry. Frivolous queries, including on what is already covered in eligibility and rules will attract NO response.
You can download the guidelines HERE
One thought on “2019 Kalemba Eligibility & entry rules”
Please be a little more clearer on the rules next time. Just tried to submit my form and I am unable to do so despite it still being the 15th of December. I assumed that by the 15th of December, you meant the 15th of December.